Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Conversations

When I'm at work, many of my conversations are one-sided.  Most of the people I work with on a daily basis are, for the most part, non-verbal or have limited conversational skills.  That's not to say that they don't communicate though!  Many of them have learned various ways of letting me know their desires or getting my attention (like banging on a desk every time I walk by so he can wave hello to me).  Several have some knowledge of sign language, some speak in one-word or short, familiar phrases, and some don't speak at all.  We manage to get through our days together just fine.

However, my conversations completely change once I pick Brynn up from pre-school.  How did I get such a chatty child?  Talk, talk, talk, talk, talk....chat, chat, chat, chat, chat....talk, talk, talk, talk, talk.  And there's always some singing in between the talking!  It amazes me how verbal Brynn has become and some of the language she uses...appropriately!  There's never a dull moment when she's around, and I never know what or whom we'll end up talking about.  All I know is that this child loves to talk, and the teacher and speech pathologist in me can't bear to tell her to be quiet! 

Here are a few of out recent conversations....

"Mama, can we get a kangaroo?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Because they don't belong in the house and would make a mess."
"But Mama, they hop!"

Gotta love the logic behind that one!

"Mama, my tummy hurts."
"I'm sorry, Brynn."
"Don't be sorry, Mama.  You didn't do anything wrong."



She even loves to talk on the phone!


No comments:

Post a Comment